Blood Pressure Reading
Welcome to our blood pressure reading guide. In this section we provide a review of how to take blood pressure; assessment guides for adults and children; practice drills for the assessment of hypertension in children; and a series of case studies on hypertension and hypotension blood pressure.
* The blood pressure cuff simulator requires an up-to-date web browser. *
Blood Pressure Simulator
Our blood pressure simulator allows you to practice reading blood pressure. In each lesson, you will be able to:
1) Inflate the cuff by pressing the 'Inflate Cuff' button several times
2) Deflate the cuff by selecting one of the 'Open Valve' settings
3) Close the valve
4) Read the blood pressure values while listening for Korotkoff Sounds
5) Switch between dial and mercury sphygmomanometers
Our case studies provide training for assessing blood pressure using our simulator. The adult case study course will teach you how to obtain blood pressure readings, heart and lung sounds, patient history and test results in order to establish a diagnosis and a treatment plan. The cases presented involve hypertension (high blood pressure), hypotension (low blood pressure), elevation of only systolic or diastolic pressures.
Adult Blood Pressure Course - Part I
These cases build assessment skills by simulating blood pressure measurement by auscultation. Users will also practice evaluation of hypertension using the NIH's classification tables for children.
Pediatric Blood Pressure Course