Introduction Part 2 ECG Interpretation
P Wave & QRS Complex
- The coordination of the P wave and QRS complex is also affected by the increased conduction velocity of the electrical impulses in the ventricular myocardium.
- The inverted P wave may be seen before or after the QRS complex, or it may be buried within it.
- Refer to the image on the next slide to reinforce this concept.
Intro to PJC
- PJC's can occur for a number of different reasons i.e., diet, fatigue, stress, disease, ischemia to name a few.
- Premature complexes frequently occur in bradycardic rhythms, but may occur almost any time.
- PJC's occur when an early electrical impulse occurs from a location in the atria other than the SA node.
We will be discussing the following complexes and rhythms:
- Premature Junctional Complexes and Junctional
- Escape Beats
- Junctional Rhythm
- Accelerated Junctional Rhythm
- Junctional Tachycardia
- Although not specifically a Junctional rhythm, we include supraventricular tachycardia because it may originate above the ventricles (including the junction).
Authors and Sources
Authors and Reviewers
- ECG heart rhythm modules: Thomas O'Brien.
- ECG monitor simulation developer: Steve Collmann
12 Lead Course: Dr. Michael Mazzini, MD.
- Spanish language ECG: Breena R. Taira, MD, MPH
- Medical review: Dr. Jonathan Keroes, MD
- Medical review: Dr. Pedro Azevedo, MD, Cardiology
- Last Update: 11/8/2021
Electrocardiography for Healthcare Professionals, 5th Edition
Kathryn Booth and Thomas O'Brien
ISBN10: 1260064778, ISBN13: 9781260064773
McGraw Hill, 2019
Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, Sixth Edition
Cover Publishing Company
12 Lead EKG for Nurses: Simple Steps to Interpret Rhythms, Arrhythmias, Blocks, Hypertrophy, Infarcts, & Cardiac Drugs
Create Space Independent Publishing
Heart Sounds and Murmurs: A Practical Guide with Audio CD-ROM 3rd Edition
Elsevier-Health Sciences Division
Barbara A. Erickson, PhD, RN, CCRN
The Virtual Cardiac Patient: A Multimedia Guide to Heart Sounds, Murmurs, EKG
Jonathan Keroes, David Lieberman
Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkin)
ISBN-10: 0781784425; ISBN-13: 978-0781784429
- Project Semilla, UCLA Emergency Medicine, EKG Training Breena R. Taira, MD, MPH