Reasons to Perform Spirometry
- Aid in the diagnosis and staging of COPD
- Aid in the diagnosis of asthma
- Aid in determining appropriate treatment for patients with shortness of breath
- Aid in tracking lung function over time (either improvement or deterioration) in patients with certain chronic diseases (e.g. sarcoidosis, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, neuromuscular, etc.)
- Screening patients who are asymptomatic but at risk for developing lung disease (e.g. smokers)
Authored by William A. French. Medically reviewed by Dr. Barbara Erickson, PhD, RN, CCRN.